5th Season Outdoors logo 5SO
https://degree.saurashtrauniversity.edu/images/rtp-live/
Torrent Tracker
× Bow Hunting

Tips!

More
07 Mar 2011 02:19 #275 by Ol Mike
Ol Mike created the topic: Tips!
Well it's March and I'm bored :) soooo...let's hear your best tips and unique things that make you a better hunter. I'm all for enabling young hunters and helping newbies off to a successful start, so here goes:

I hate creaks, squeaks and clinks from my climber and I've found a good way to deaden the sound. Buy a $4 can of Great Stuff expanding foam and fill any of the hollow rails and cavities with it. (I've even drilled small holes the size of the straw to get it in the front rails...although I wouldn't get too crazy here it could weaken the stand). Problem solved. Want proof? Bang into your stand with a metal object before and after the foam injection and be amazed.

One word of caution. Make sure you REMOVE the adjustment cables BEFORE injecting your stand with foam...one friend blasted it full before removing the cables. I think he still hates me :laugh: that stuff is hard to remove and he never did get the cable out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2011 02:25 #276 by Ol Mike
Ol Mike replied the topic: Re: Tips!
Here's another I just thought on the subject of noisy stands. It is almost impossible to take the climber sections apart and put back together again without making noise. One thing that GREATLY helped me was to buy door molding strips and put them on the edges that touch when putting the stand together. Plus because they are soft rubber, they help to lock the stand into place when packing it in and out.

Another thing that would work well is to get thin weatherstripping and stick it to the bottom of the part of your stand that slides on top of the second piece. Anything to keep the metal to metal contact to a minimum. I'll admit I'm a bit fanatical here but I believe the quieter you can sneak in and out of an area the better chance you have of seeing deer consistently.

More
07 Mar 2011 02:33 #278 by Beau_5SO
Beau_5SO replied the topic: Re: Tips!
I second the claim of foaming your climber! Actually, I think I got the idea from you?! :huh: Either way, I know it works great. Make sure to give it plenty of time to dry. The foam does have a slight scent that will disappear once it has hardend completely.

Proverbs 14:23 "All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads to poverty."

More
07 Mar 2011 03:38 #301 by Ol Mike
Haha yes, I think we did come up with that one in my dad's garage ;)

good call on letting it dry though...it does stink initiailly

More
07 Mar 2011 03:45 #303 by AvidSnipeHunter
AvidSnipeHunter replied the topic: Re: Tips!
Are you guys talking about the expanding foam that I can get from Home Depot for doors and cracks?

It's not the size of the dog that matters...it's the size of the gun his owner has that counts.

More
07 Mar 2011 14:35 #313 by Ol Mike
Avid,

Yes that's the stuff!

More
22 Mar 2011 05:03 #373 by sdoJB
sdoJB replied the topic: Re: Tips!
This tip is one that I started using about 6 or 7 years ago. I read an article called "Doubling Your Distance." In this article it talked about the importance of long range practice and how this pertains to your hunting appilcation. After reading this article I began the tedious task of implementing this process in my practice regimen, and now I shoot the majority of my arrows at long distances. In fact I was just shooting at 80 yards with another member of the Storm Dog Outdoors team, Sunday. When shooting this distance I do not really focus on hitting the bulls eye, but in stead my form. If your form is consistently good, hitting the bulls eye will come. However, if its not you will have trouble even hitting the target. After shooting several of arrows at this distance or even distances of 70 or 60 yards, I move closer and began shooting at 40 and work my way down to 20. All it takes is once and you will see not only why this is important but how it can improve your shooting. When you move into these closer distances the target becomes enormous and your groups will begin to tighten up. Give it a try and let me know what you think, but I’m not responsible for lost arrows…….ha

Check out the Storm Dog Outdoors website @ stormdogoutdoors.com You can also follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook.

Thanks,

Jon "JB" Burke

More
31 Mar 2011 20:17 #388 by AvidSnipeHunter
AvidSnipeHunter replied the topic: Re: Tips!
I actually just tried the doubling my distance idea you said and I couldn't believe how much it helped bring my pattern closer. thanks

It's not the size of the dog that matters...it's the size of the gun his owner has that counts.

More
07 Apr 2011 02:18 #393 by sdoJB
sdoJB replied the topic: Re: Tips!
Sorry for being away so ling, things have been kind of crazy. I'm glad to see that someone else has benefited from "doubling your distance", it really is a pretty easy way to improve your shooting. I was actually just shooting 80 yards a few days ago with another Storm Dog Outdoors Pro Staffer, and man does that target get bigger when you move in to 40 or even 20.

So how bout another shooting tip that SDO uses in the none hunting months. We do a lot of groundhog hunting with our bows of course. We have harvested groundhogs all the way out to 70 and have captured several on video, out to 60 yards. Again, being able to hit a groundhog at those distances will improve your accuracy when it comes to knocking down one of those Ohio bruiser whitetails.

They are starting to come out so let me know how it goes. Oh by the way, you should use old or cheap broad heads, because they will carry your arrows with field point down their wholes.

Check out the Storm Dog Outdoors website @ stormdogoutdoors.com You can also follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook.

Thanks,

Jon "JB" Burke

Time to create page: 0.769 seconds